Are You Paying Too Much Child Support?

When you first separate from the other parent of your children, one of you is ordered to pay custody. The custody amount is determined in part by how much money you and the other parent make along with the needs of the children.

If you are paying child support, you probably pay the amount you are supposed to pay every single month. You don't want to fall behind on your payments and risk wage garnishment, losing your license, or having a lien put on your home or other property. However, the child support you pay monthly may be high, causing you to have a rough time making ends meet. Here are signs you're paying too much for child support. Your lawyer can assist you in getting child support modified to better meet your needs while still meeting the obligations to your children.

You've changed jobs

Have you recently changed to a new job that either has less hours or offers a lower pay than you had when child support was first ordered? If you aren't making the same income as before, you should have child support modified. Your new income will be taken into account to determine what you can pay for your kids.

Likewise, if your new job pays more than your old one or has other bonuses, your child support can actually go up. Before you modify child support, talk to your lawyer to see if this is the best option for your financial situation.

If you've lost your job and can't pay any child support, let the state you're ordered to pay in and the court system know. You can fall behind and be in serious trouble, and letting the proper channels know of your situation can help limit the repercussions against you.

The other parent got a job or a raise

If the other parent of your children has gotten a new job that pays better or is receiving benefits or a raise, then ask to your have your child support modified through your lawyer. The other parent's income is factored into the amount of child support you pay every month and can actually help lower your financial obligation. Since you'll have to prove the other party has a change in income and the other parent may be unwilling to support your evidence; use your lawyer to help you gain a strong case.

Child support can be modified to better meet your needs. If you're paying too much, talk to an attorney, such as those at Crome Law Firm.